Safety Tips for Buyers while using Public Ads?
When you find an item you'd like to buy, ask to meet in-person to see the item and exchange money. For personal ease and safety, always ensure you take someone with you and meet in a public place. If you're answering a home service ad ask the poster to produce identification and proof of qualification before inviting them into your home.
1. Never pay money via EFT for transport services!
2. Anyone who asks for deposit, without meeting the person is a scammer.
3. Meet the seller, local transactions are the safest.
4. Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services and know that only a scammer will "guarantee" your transaction.
Never send your item before receiving the money
This includes never EFT, Cash Deposit, or using payment services like Bidpay, Western Union or Money Gram to pay for items found on Public Ads.
How to detect fraud while buying or selling
For buyers, pay extra attention when:
- The product has a suspiciously low price.
- The seller asks for an advance payment/fee.
- The seller gives a different location from the one provided in the ad.
- The seller cannot meet in a public place but insists on delivering the item.
- The seller requests for personal information (bank details, email address, debit/credit card number e.t.c or other information that could be misused).
- The ad appears too good to be true!